Screech! Halt! Let me not bore and torture you with my terrible food poetry and instead jump straight to the recipe. I mean I was
Screech! Halt! Let me not bore and torture you with my terrible food poetry and instead jump straight to the recipe. I mean I was not attentive in those literature classes back in school. All I did was nap at the back, waiting for it to get dark (Did that rhyme?) Uurrgh! Talking of napping, I do love sleep (shut up, who doesn’t?) Rejoice however, y’all fellow sleep lovers out there, for here is a simple and quick breakfast recipe, ready in just under 10! Perfect for those mornings you know you have to take breakfast and leave the house early but you still want to maximize on that sleep. Ladies and gentlemen, the avocado toast!
This recipe stars eggs, avocado and good for you whole grain bread as discussed on 9 Simple to Adopt Healthy Eating Habits
First, some good news on eggs
Eggs have for a long time gotten a bad rap. Talk of being unhealthy, high in cholesterol etc Recently however, a number of studies actually proved the complete opposite. Eggs are not bad for one’s health. You could eat up to a dozen eggs in a week and you will still be fine. What is even more eggsciting (get it?) is that not only are eggs harmless but they are also associated with a ton of healthy benefits among them aiding weight loss.
Personally I am an ardent fan of eggs. And scrambled eggs for that matter. Not to brag but I have- ahem- perfected making the best scrambled eggs. Lately the online food world has been abuzz with the avocado toast. So I thought why not hop into the frenzy.
So what is avocado toast
I suppose by now you have an idea what avocado toast is, I mean it is not hard to guess – but for the hell of it I’ll clarify
Avocado toast is when you (wait for it, wait for it) put avocado on toast! Voila! As simple as that. Smooth, creamy avocado is heaped on warm crunchy toast. An alluring combination of textures yet highly nutritious.
But wait! That might just be the beginning of the story, where the actual fun begins. After the avocado meets the toast, you have limitless options and possibilities for flavors and toppings. Picture avocado toast with sliced bananas and cinnamon or with fresh blueberries or broiled tomato, like I’ve said, limitless possibilities.
My avocado toast with scrambled eggs is a perfect hearty example. You have
- whole grain toast rich in fiber and great texture to keep you full
- The best scrambled egg (Did I mention I have perfected the scrambled egg?) Yeah. It’s the best. And it is loaded with protein that makes the keep you full fiber in the toast keep you full loooooonger
Perhaps toss in a fresh fruit and whoa! We are talking breakfast for conquerors.
Truly this is breakfast joy that will power you straight through the morning. No need for mid-morning snacking and no rumbling tummy (so not cool by the way)
Swap-stitutes (Swaps and substitutes)
One great thing about this recipe is that it is really flexible and so easy. Don’t like something, take it out. Want to add something, go ahead. You do you, the avocado toast is still gonna be great.
- Have some leftover vegetable, kale or spinach. Scramble some with the eggs
- Have some low fat cream cheese, spread it on the toast. You will love it
This meal is as simple as it gets. There’s no need for me to share the recipe. But since we are already here, why not?
- Two slices whole grain toast
- 1 medium sized avocado
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (for avocado)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper (for avocado)
- Three eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons low fat milk
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado to the consistency of your liking. Add salt and pepper and set aside shortly as you toast bread and make eggs
- In another small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and a pinch of salt
- Lightly toast or grill bread
- Preheat a non stick frying pan on medium high heat. Pour in the egg mixture; cook, stirring constantly and quickly with a rubber spatula, fork or chopsticks. Patience is key. Keep stirring. Remove from heat once cooked to your liking
- Spread warm toast with mashed avocado. Spoon scrambled egg on the avocado
- Garnish as desired
What are your thoughts on this avocado toast and scrambled eggs? Feel free to share your comments