Pilau is a common meal among the people of East Africa mostly among the coastal regions. Natives enjoy eating good ol’ Pilau with Kachumbari(East African
Pilau is a common meal among the people of East Africa mostly among the coastal regions. Natives enjoy eating good ol’ Pilau with Kachumbari(East African Onion and Tomato Salad).
The best practice in preparing Pilau is to use whole spices as shown in this post Kenyan Beef Pilau (A Step by Step Guide Using Whole Spices)
However, due to time constraints and at times non availability of these whole spices, most people prefer preparing Pilau using Pilau Masala. This recipe will show you exactly that, how to cook Pilau using Pilau Masala for a quick and easy Pilau.
- 3 cups rice (500g)
- 2 large onions
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 inch crushed ginger
- 2 Tablespoons pilau masala
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ kg cubed beef
- 6 cups hot water
- Salt to taste
- Cook beef in salted water till tender for about 30-45 minutes
- In a large saucepan, saute onions till dark and caramelized.
- Mix in cooked beef and stir fry for 3 minutes until dark in color
- Add crushed garlic and ginger
- Add in rice and mix thoroughly followed by hot water.
- Mix in salt, cover and let cook on low heat till ready, about 30 - 40 mins
- Garnish with coriander and serve