Hold your horses. Spaghetti, bacon and omelet isn’t a weird combination as you’re probably thinking right now. Avocado and honey is a weird combination. But
Hold your horses. Spaghetti, bacon and omelet isn’t a weird combination as you’re probably thinking right now.
Avocado and honey is a weird combination.
But hey, have you tried mixing avocado with honey? Surprisingly enough, it is delicious. Don’t you try it. It’s addictive. It is one of the many food combinations that sound gross but taste really good.
Back to today’s recipe though, my healthy spaghetti, bacon and omelet.
Let me be upfront with you right away. This is a yummy and heavenly tasting combination.
Talk of the sweet, crispy, and moist joy of bacon dancing in your mouth. Always bringing with it a rush of amusement to the body that will make mountains move and pigs fly; The slippery and inviting warmth of savory spaghetti; And omelet, well you know the taste of omelet, like chicken but much much younger.
Related: Spaghetti Avocado Yogurt Sauce
But, is eating spaghetti healthy?
Definitely. Spaghetti and all other types of pasta if eaten in moderation can be part of a healthy diet. Whole wheat spaghetti will be a much better choice as it is lower in carbs and calories and higher in fiber and nutrients. However, moderation is key. Be sure to watch portion sizes.
Other ways to make healthy spaghetti is to,
- Use sauces rich in bell papers and tomatoes that pack more fiber
- Incorporate healthier toppings like fresh herbs and veggies
- Throw in some protein to make it a balanced meal
See also: Jollof Rice and Chicken
What of the Bacon, is it good for one’s health?
For decades, studies have associated processed meats like bacon with cancer and heart diseases. However those diagnosed also lead an unhealthy lifestyle in general, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking etc
Bacon packs essential monounsaturated fats, nutrients and vitamins. However as with other processed foods, moderate intake is key.
Try this recipe and let me know how it goes. Your feedback and thoughts are highly welcome in the comments section below.
- 200 grams regular or whole spaghetti
- 4 Slices Bacon chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 tomatoes diced
- 3 medium sized onions diced
- 2 garlic cloves mashed
- Freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- Cook spaghetti according to the instructions on the package and set aside
- Meanwhile cook bacon in a saucepan and remove the pieces leaving the oil
- Saute the onions in the oil till golden brown, about 2-3 minutes
- Toss in diced bell pepper and let cook for 2 minutes
- Mix in garlic and stir for 30 seconds
- Add tomatoes, stir and let it simmer on low heat till the tomatoes are done, about 7 minutes. If the tomatoes aren't moist enough, add 2-3 tablespoons of water
- Add bacon, spaghetti and lime juice, mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with omelet and serve hot
John is a passionate foodie and an advocate for balanced eating and healthy living. Healthy African Foodie is where he shares his wholesome recipes, cooking tips and kitchen tool reviews to make a healthy lifestyle an easier, more convenient choice for individuals and families.